On 10-11-2005 21:33:48 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
> We need to establish *one* authoritative source of news.  We can't do
> that if we simultaneously launch several sources of news all at once.
> We have to launch *one* service first, give the userbase time to adjust
> to that, and then start making the news available via additional
> sources.

Yep, so create that central source on the web, and fork off mailing list
posts, RSS-feeds and stuff based on this central repository.  Also let
portage warn users based on the information in this repository.
We can start creating and populating the central web resource _right
now_, as all the infrastructure is there.  The mailing lists shouldn't
be a problem as well.  It all makes sense...

... as long as you include the right handles for users to adjust their
preferences.  You missed my point here, when I was just trying to
indicate that in our user base, there will be many different users.
Different users as in different preferences.  Forcing the portage
solution, the mailing list solution, or which other solution upon a user
is evil.  People should be *free* to choose.  That you define a default
setting of enabling the portage feature is fine with me, but include
clear directions to disable such feature and allow it to send mails if
the possible infrastructure is there and the user wants it.  Take all
preferences into account.

I don't see why you would want to achieve your 100% user coverage aim
through only *one* channel.  I am strongly in favour of using multiple
channels to do that.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead