Dan Meltzer wrote:
On 11/16/05, Zou, Yixiong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to create a gentoo package for some internal software.  I
followed
several Howtos online and created the ebuild file for my package.  But
somehow
ebuild always return me the same error over and over again:

$ ebuild ./component-template-0.1.0.ebuild digest
Invalid package name in package.provided: component-template-0.1
!!! aux_get(): ebuild path for 'mycat/component-template-0.1.0' not
specified:
!!!            None
!!! aux_get(): ebuild path for 'mycat/component-template-0.1.0' not
specified:
!!!            None
doebuild(): aux_get() error reading mycat/component-template-0.1.0;
aborting.

Most likely the ebuild is not in the component-template folder.

This is a requirement.

I did google for this error, most say that it is because of the
PORTDIR_OVERLAY.
But I do have PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage" in my /etc/make.conf
file.
And I can upgrade existing Gentoo packages after modifying them.  For
example,
I copied over the xmlrpc-c-0.9 to the /usr/local/portage/dev-libs/ and
changed
it to xmlrpc-c-1.03.07 and it worked liked a charm.  It is just my
packages
are somehow not recognized by portage.

I read it somewhere that the category name "mycat" has to be an entry
listed in
/usr/portage/profiles/categories.  I added "mycat" into the categories,
still
the same result.  Plus, this doesn't make sense because the "emerge
--sync"
would remove it.

put it in /etc/portage/profiles/categories

It's /etc/portage/categories

Marius