On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 03:27:52PM -0700, Tres Melton wrote:
> staff.gentoo.org              forum staff
> amd64-at.gentoo.org           Arch testers for the amd64 platform
> contributer.gentoo.org                People that donate $$$ to Gentoo
> retired.gentoo.org            A thanks for helping earlier domain
>
> For the developers like ferringb, solar, vapier, etc. that have many
> roles perhaps they could have the subdomains forward to their
> @gentoo.org address.  But then again that complicates things for the
> -infra team which I don't want to do.  That is why I've tried to keep
> quiet.  There is still quite a bit for me to learn.

Easier, and saner to just plain drop the subdomain notion.  Avoids the
whole gentoo personel first class/second class issue first of all,
second avoids infra aliasing annoyances.

Note also that retired.gentoo.org shouldn't really accomplish
anything, unless the dev is able to send through the account (if they're
retired, I would posit they shouldn't be able to).

> deltacow stated that in IRC...  and my response to that is: "that is
> what IRC cloaks are for".  Voice is used to mark AT's in #gentoo-amd64
> but the voice is used mostly for tor users in #gentoo.  I don't want to
> open a new can of worms by bringing in IRC but there really is no
> standardization throughout the channels and I think that is the way that
> most people want to keep it.  I'm not suggesting anything until I learn
> more.

Subject for another glep I'd think, although tbh not something I
personally have much interest in- rules and conventions across
channels vary fairly massively.  I wouldn't be too happy if the
language requirement wound up forced on #gentoo-portage for example
(nor do I suspect would the hardened crowd) :)

~harring