Robin H. Johnson posted
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted below,  on
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:44:41 -0800:

> The 6x146GB is overkill for storage, unless you have some other plans
> that I'm not aware of (I'm assuming RAID5 with a hot-spare, so 4x146GB
> usable). 6x72GB might be more suitable for the budget.

As I just RAID-ed my main system, and have the info fresh...

If the capacity is there, go RAID6 (dual parity RAID5, so two drives can
drop out without the thing dieing) with a hot-spare as well, so
threex146GB usable.

In any case, I'd go RAID6 with no hot-spare over RAID5 with a hot-spare,
as it's effectively the same thing, only with RAID6, you can lose two at
once without dieing, instead of only one -- and you hope the second waits
to die at least until the hot-spare gets synced.

This of course assumes software RAID, as RAID6 is certainly a kernel
option. If it's hardware RAID, you of course go with the capacities the
hardware supplies, and I'd guess RAID6 is a less common option, certainly
less commonly known.