On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 23:23:19 +0100
"Spider (D.m.D. Lj.)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 11:55 -0800, Michael Marineau wrote:
>
> > For users who do like the functionality just properly document
> > the existance of USE_ORDER in the install guide.
>
> However, I'd -also- want the IUSE="+auto -bongodrums alpha beta
> +zeta"  to be set, perhaps with a new USE_ORDER variable
> ":ebuild:" ?

Imho, that's the problem with documenting USE_ORDER (although
it's a minor one): if a user set USE_ORDER="env:pkg:conf:defaults"
in his make.conf and a later version of portage introduces some new
interesting value, he will miss this new feature without noticing.

Since it seems that the common usage of user-defined USE_ORDER is
to remove values, but not actually to change their priorities
(probably because the default ones are the only ones which really
make sense), i would rather see a split in two distinct vars:
 - FOO (i'm not good to invent names) would be portage internal
and define valid values and their respective priorities.
 - BAR would be accessible to the users as an incremental var, and
would define what values should be taken into account.

FOO default would be "env:pkg:conf:auto:defaults".
BAR default would be "auto conf default env pkg".

This way, users could set BAR="-auto" in make.conf, which would
really mean "take all of the default USE_ORDER but the auto thing".
And the day "ebuild" or any other new feature is implemented, this
user will have it automatically (just like he would get any new
enabled-by-default FEATURES flag for instance).

--
TGL.