On Sunday 27 November 2005 01:48, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 05:12:45PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
> > As I said earlier, we'd like to get rid of the nasty auto-use feature,
> > including the support for the USE_ORDER variable. Right now we intend
> > this for 2.0.54 (might not be the final version number) unless there are
> > major objections to it.
>
> What will happen to the USE flags currently in use.defaults when this
> is removed?

It will turn off unless it is enabled somewhere else.

> Perhaps some of them be moved to the profiles instead?

This is more of a releng/basesystem question rather than a portage question.
Makes no difference to me as a user as I have USE="-* ..." in make.conf. ;)

> I'm mostly concerned about the 'udev' USE flag. Some packages rely on
> this to be able to function correctly on an udev enabled system.
> Since udev seems to be the default choice for our default-linux
> profiles, it would make sense to also set USE=udev in those profiles?

Message logging will come in at the same time so it might be better to do
something like:

portageq has_version ${ROOT} sys-fs/udev && use !udev && (
    ewarn "You have udev installed but do not the udev USE flag enabled."
    ewarn "${PN} might behave incorrectly."
)

Except with better bash style of course.. But that's just what I'd do. Once
proper logging goes in, it'd be a good idea for policies on things like this
to be developed.

--
Jason Stubbs