On Saturday 26 November 2005 18:50, Ned Ludd wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> probably in portage-2.0.54 a patch will be added to emit split debug
> info. Having a split debug allows us to retain all the advantages of
> stripping executables while gaining the ability to properly debug
> executables in bfd aware programs. It's been in testing with a small
> hand full of devs and works quite well, but before it's pushed in we
> would like to get input from our devs & users.
>
> Would you be willing to give up space in $ROOT/usr/lib/debug for ELF
> executables by default in order to aid in better debugging by or do we
> want to only emit it when a FEATURE= is defined.
>
> Having a split debug pretty much obsoletes the need to add nostrip to
> your features in order to get debug info.

If we decide to do this, I think we should also find a solution that
ensures that the executables actually get built with the debugging
information, and that the upstream makefiles don't strip the binaries
before we can stop them to.

I see two things we can do to fix these problems:
- In portage mode, add a null split binary to the path, such that
  makefiles that try to split, actually don't. Easier than anything else
  as specifying --debug often also means that you get awful CFLAGS
- Make gcc-wrapper be smart about it, and inject a "-g" CFLAG into the
  command line of the actual gcc.

Of course this all should be turned on/off with a feature or useflag or
whatever.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze