On Wednesday 07 December 2005 04:04, Marius Mauch wrote:
> As stated in the GLEP, gpg is outside the scope of this. As for the
> questions, per entry sigs would invert one of the main goals (size
> reduction). And so far I haven't seen any sufficient answer to
> questions I raised on -core and -portage-dev regarding the
> transaction/stacked/fragmented/whatever-you-want-to-call-it Manifest
> signing proposed by Robin, so I'm still quite against it.

Per entry sigs make no sense in the current design. All ebuilds can touch
all files, and so the complete manifest should be verified. This means
that the whole manifest should be signed.

Having said that, I would like to argue that this GLEP be implemented only
together with gpg signing the manifest. Doing otherwise would require
another change in the manifest format in a short time. If the manifest
format has optional signing that would also be ok. Just align the
requirements and make manifest2 and the gpg signing of it compatible.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer