> As for moving packages by hand vs. using a tool, that's not really infra's
> call.  If you were asking about CVS vs. SVN, I have been and remain
> opposed
> to using SVN for gentoo-x86 until someone can offer a whole lot of
> assurances around SVN's ability to manage a repo of our size. (1.3GB,
> 216,000+ files and counting)

KDE moved to Subversion earlier this year, with a few million lines of
source code and hundreds of branches and tags.  It did it flawlessly and
maintained over 400,000 commit history items.

I don't think stability is the biggest hurdle here.  I think the
conversion process will be - they had to write a lot of code from scratch
to handle maintaining all of that history (the stock cvs2svn wasn't robust
enough), and they had to run the conversion process a number of times,
find the bugs, rework their conversion code, and rerun.  It was a lengthy
process (a few weeks I believe).

It's going to require someone to actually write the conversion code and
provide a proof of concept conversion.  If anyone's up to the challenge, I
imagine contacting their sysadmins would be a good start.