Ciaran McCreesh posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted
below,  on Tue, 13 Dec 2005 03:20:43 +0000:

> Ok, new draft. Changes are as follows:
[]
> * Changed /var/lib/portage to /var/lib/gentoo

OK, I must have missed the reason for that, and it isn't listed in one of
your "a previous version" notes, unless I missed that too. <g>

Assuming the reason wasn't contrary to this (which it probably is,
but...), why not /var/lib/portage/news/gentoo?  If I read jstubbs'
suggestion correctly, the "gentoo" would then serve as the repo name (in
place of magic-chicken, altho as he proposed it, that would be part of the
filename, not the directory the file is in) as well -- he said naming the
current/default repo "gentoo" was sufficient.

> * Added emerge --ask thingie

> Checks for new news messages should be displayed:
[]
> * After an ``emerge --pretend``
[]
> * Before an ``emerge --ask <target>`` sequence

Wouldn't it be less confusing if the news warning appeared in the same
place, relative to the package listing, in both of these?  Isn't an emerge
--ask just the output of pretend, with a confirmation pinned to the end?
Shouldn't it continue to be that, at least in concept?

> * news.read is now mandatory for interactive clients, and ignored for
> gateway clients

> When a news item is read, its name should be removed from the
> ``news-magic-chicken.unread`` file. If a news client acts as an
> interactive reader rather than a gateway, it should then add the name to
> a ``news-magic-chicken.read`` file in the same directory with the same
> file format (again, ``magic-chicken`` should be a wildcard rather than
> hardcoded).

First, the change outline doesn't state what the result actually was, in
the GLEP. Mandatory would require a MUST (or a similar statement that it's
mandatory), while the GLEP words it as a SHOULD.  Or is "should" not to be
taken in the usual RFC meaning, but rather as an RFC "MUST"?

Second but related, the first time I read thru it, I somehow missed the
"rather than a gateway" part.  Upon rereading, I saw it (obviously), but
the effect of the present wording is to deemphasize the "gateway" clause,
as well as the "read" file.  If it's truly a MUST, then the "read" file
deserves equal treatment with the "unread" file, probably by introducing
the two as a pair, then treating them in parallel thru most of the other