Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
| soon. The solution to that seems simple to me. Rather than have
| 'package manager' do anything, just have it provide hooks that will
| allow you to do your thing at the times you want.

Exactly what I am doing. Hence why I'm not making Portage know any more
than it really really has to about news.

I wish you'd reconsider, because I was looking forward to multiple repository support.
You may want to specify the newsdir="$(portageq envvar PORTDIR)/metadata/news"
bit in the glep and also note in the glep that there were dissenting opinions regarding
the assumptions that you have made there.

Zac