Dan Meltzer wrote:

Like I said in a previous email, 'gentoo' corresponds to 'magic-chicken' in
your news-magic-chicken.unread files.  The news reader app gets the repo
identifier from the news-*.unread files and plugs that into portageq to get the
directory where the corresponding new items can be found.

uhh, isn't this kind of circular?

"It gets the repo identifier from the files in the repo..." oh wait

The glep specifies /var/lib/gentoo/news/news-*.unread which are created by the
portage news add-on.  However, yes, it seems that we will need a new portageq
query in order to enumerate the list of repo identifiers.

Zac