Sigh...The point was to take 3, potentially 4, ebuilds and make 1.

Well, nvidia-xconfig should probably be part of hte nvidia-settings ebuild, but I really don't think the drivers and kernel module should be included. Why not create a meta-ebuild which pulls all of these ebuilds in, so that it is easy to install everything, yet you don't break the ability to re-install the kernel module everytime somebody compiled a new kernel.

BTW, please post these comments to the bug report.

Bug reports are not a forum for discussion.

We hope you will find this approach a more streamlined and easy
implementation for nVidia.

I don't particularly see how it is easier.

But many do. This mirrors the approach nvidia takes.

Why should we care what approach nvidia takes? I'm looking for reasons here.

No, nVidia devs are Kris and the x11-driver group.
BTW, I don't want to get into a multi-threaded debate about the
merits or drawbacks to this in this forum. Bug reports or comments are
encouraged since that way everyone involved will see it. I was just asked
to post the invite.

See my comment above. Mailing lists are for discussion, and bugzilla is for fixing bugs.

-Steve