Jakub Moc posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted below,
on Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:53:55 +0100:

> 26.12.2005, 18:07:45, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:57:17 +0100 Jakub Moc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> | alsa - this does not make most sense definitely, this horrible thing
>> | needs to die.
>
>> Why? On x86, alsa is the least broken sound system, and on x86, the
>> target for the default profiles is desktops, and most desktops have
>> soundcards.
>
> Uh eh... I meant *arts*, no clue how I wrote alsa.

USE=arts is a great default, again, by the definition already given "for
packages that can optionally support arts, should it be enabled by default
or not".  Most of the arts-optional packages will be KDE.  KDE by default
should be arts-aware, at least in KDE 3.x.  4.x will be a different
matter, but with 3.x, while KDE /can/ run without arts, it's /designed/ to
run /with/ arts, so that's the entirely logical default.

Of course, there are packages such as xmms that don't have an direct
relationship to KDE save that they optionally support arts.  Great!  For
such packages there's this user-configurable file in /etc/portage called
package.use.  For those that don't want arts at all, simply set -arts in
make.conf and be done with it.  Meanwhile, USE=arts remains an entirely
logical default.