Lance Albertson wrote:
> Luis Medinas wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 12:54 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
<snip snip>

> I had thought about creating some kind of a site like this, but not
> necessarily in a wiki form. I don't like the idea of letting users add
> random docs. There's too much room for error and how do you deal with
> accountability? There has to be a developer who either will take the
> time to maintain it or accept responsibility for any errors it may have.
> I like the idea of having an area for herds to keep track of their
> internal thing, but I fear it will just end up replacing what the GDP
> (and our www site) does. Its too easy for them to just start adding docs
> there instead of on www because its 'too hard' to deal with guidexml.
>
> If the issue here is guidexml, lets figure out the problem. We need to
> define what exactly is the problem before we decide on an
> implementation. Is the problem that there's no central place for herds
> to put updates/goals/etc? Is the problem that there's no easy way for
> users to submit new docs for people to use? Is the problem that guidexml
> hampers development time with regard to creating docs and you wish to
> have a better/easier way to create such docs?
>
> Simply saying 'we need a public wiki' is great an all, but I'd rather
> ask 'What problem(s) does the wiki solve' before we even get farther.
> There might be better ways to solving the problem other than putting up
> a wiki.

I think the big problem with certain pieces of documentation is the fact
that:
A) They change too often for any sort of static webpage.  If I'm writing
portage docs GuideXML is probably not how I want to go, the docs are
essentially fluid for most of the development time, they change often,
entire sections are ripped out and moved as I go.  In that type of case
any sort of static webpage is utterly horrible.  Rather go a wiki route
( or something similar ) to allow easy access & modification.

One could say, build the docs offline and then submit them later for GDP
to stick into GuideXML, but then only I can contribute to them ( myself
not being a developer ).  I guess I could host my own Anon-svn for the
docs while they are being written, but not particularly my cup of tea.

B) Non-developers want to contribute.  The devwiki currently doesn't
allow this, so I ended up asking Patrick at ge.org for an account to
start a wiki there, hoping eventually to move it somewhere else ( or if
events stay as they are, it can stay there )  Not many people want to
make diffs on guideXML ( I know I hate editing it ), and to fix a small
error or add a tidbit, no one wants to file a bug about it.

Those are the two biggest, docs change fast and non-devs want to
contribute to documentation in an easier way.

Problems with any sort of wiki solution thats Gentoo-wide comes down to
people editing projects they know nothing about, and managing
permissions should they be implemented.  I could probably do well
editing the Portage section, but perhaps no so much in any Hardened area
of the wiki.  Problem is maintaining that number of users/permissions is
a nightmare.

But those are the two biggest problems in my estimation.  No one wishes
to impede the GDP here,  Most of the docs I want to write are internal
portage API docs/FAQ/Howto's, and I doubt you will see users pounding on
the door to read them :)

Alec Warner (antarus)