On 1/11/06, Aron Griffis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bug 9849 has been marked a duplicate of 23851, but there is
> a distinction between the two: 23851 would be "solved" by pre-failing
> the merge phase if it is predicted to fail (permissions, diskspace).
> But 9849 is pretty specific to .keep files and directory creation, and
> needs to finish the merge even if some of those fail.

The only solution I can think of, is to merge to a "duplicate ROOTDIR"
like this (pseudo-code):
  mount -o bind / /mnt/dup
  ROOTDIR=/mnt/dup emerge {package}

Like this, mounts under / aren't mounted under /mnt/dup (e.g.
/mnt/dup/proc only contains .keep), so one can access the underlying
filesystem. Problem with this is: if you have /usr on a different
partition, you probably want to mount -o bind that as well, so you'll
have to make a distinction between mounts of instalation directories,
and mounts of run-time usage directories.

Stefaan