On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 14:54 +0100, Sven Köhler wrote:
> I think that i clearly explained several times, that bootstrap.sh
> installs gcc 3.4 _without_ removing the crippled gcc 3.3 that came with
> stage1.

You are absolutely correct.  We will need to investigate the best
solution for this.  The reason the old compiler is not removed currently
is because of them being in a different SLOT, and therefore protected
from being unmerged by "clean" actions.

> > If a stage1 install does not remove a 3.3.x bootstrap compiler when a 3.4
> > is
> > used as the main, that is a bug in the bootstrap script. As such it should
> > be
> > fixed.
>
> So i see that you seem to agree with me! The crippled gcc contained in
> the stage1 has to be removed by bootstrap.sh - and this is not done
> automatically by the steps that bootstrap.sh performs.

I agree also.  I would also like to state that until this email, that I
had no idea that this was what you were describing.

I'll get right on a possible solution.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead