Thomas de Grenier de Latour wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:58:52 -0800
> Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> You want people to recompile the whole package to get another
>> text file installed?
>
> When would one recompile a package just for that? Only case i can
> think of is when someone who already has setup his apache / ftp /
> database / whatever server suddenly discover what "logrotate" is
> and thus decide to start using it, whereas until then he didn't
> payed any attention to the flag each time it was listed by "emerge
> -pv".  That sounds rather unlikely, and i would say "too bad, be
> more careful next time..." to such a sysadmin. And anyway, this
> user doesn't really have to recompile anything to fix his mistake:
> he can still have a look on the ebuild to see that if the file he
> is missing is available in $FILESDIR, or use "ebuild unpack" and
> get it from the sources tree when it comes from upstream.

[snip]

indeed, rephrasing what sayd before in the same thread:

Mysql eclass will add a USE flag, local or global, "logrotate" for next
versions of MySQL, not touching the old ebuilds.

Run-time needed files will still live in $PORTDIR/dev-db/mysql/files,
because their size is small, and they change seldom. Compile time needed
files have been already moved in a separate SRC_URI fetched file.

Unless we decide to drop totally "logrotate" use flag support.

BTW hope this is not enough fuel to start another flamewar.