On Tuesday 31 January 2006 22:39, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 January 2006 06:31, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> > On Monday 30 January 2006 20:54, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > > 1. Because for things like LINGUAS, there are arbitrarily many legal
> > > values, and documenting them all and keeping the list up to date would
> > > be extremely difficult.
> >
> > "More precisely, how should they be documented if not via use.desc?"
>
> considering there's a ton more LINGUAS values than we have USE flags (just
> run
> `wc` on use.desc and lang.desc), bloating use.desc with LINGUAS settings
> benefits *noone*
>
> we have lang.desc, it is quite populated, what's wrong with having portage
> read that

Absolutely nothing. I am in no way suggesting that use.desc is the possible
fix. I wasn't even suggesting that each individual flag need be documented.
However, if lang.desc already exists (and it does) and can be renamed to
linguas.desc, it is probably a better way to manage it than use.desc. Is
having INPUT_DEVICES and the like following the same scheme
(ie, input_devices.desc) acceptable?

--
Jason Stubbs