MIkey posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted
below,  on Sat, 04 Mar 2006 12:18:22 -0600:

> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 12:04:11 -0600 MIkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> | At my job we aim to eventually rid ourselves completely of MS
>> | products on several thousand (local and remote) desktops and replace
>> | them with some sort of thin linux client running the citrix metaframe
>> | client.  They will be running in kiosk mode.  No user will have the
>> | ability to get to a window manager and browse around
>> | in /usr/share/doc.  They don't even know what the heck a man page is.
>>
>> Then you should use INSTALL_MASK, not a USE flag.
>
> Please excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is INSTALL_MASK and where is
> it documented?  Can it exclude things from being included in binary
> packages?

INSTALL_MASK is similar to the CONFIG_PROTECT and CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK
portage variables in that it takes a list of directories (or files,
wildcarding is acceptable), settable in make.conf.  portage will still
package those files in binary packages, but won't install anything that
matches INSTALL_MASK.  Thus, you can stick /usr/doc and /usr/share/doc in
it, and snag anything that would be installed to them.