Coincidence, installed Gentoo on a WinXP VMWare today and I use VMWare it at work.
The only difference is that you don't need all the livecd drivers.

Maybe an doc for the specific installation is sufficient with a working kernel-config just like in the gentoo-wiki but an official one. Oh yeah... and submit to VMWare also. There's a lot of docs about other distros in the main site [1] but no Gentoo there.

The vmware-linux-tools is not up2date. I'll try to update the 5.0.0 ebuild and put it in bugs.g.o
I'm using workstation 5.5.1 and it as 32bits and 64bits binaries/drivers.

[1]: http://www.vmware.com/support/guestnotes/doc/