On Saturday 04 March 2006 15:45, Danny van Dyk wrote:
> Just to throw in my 2 cents into this discussion: I'm all against
> die-ing during the update process. However, i think that stopping
> before the update process would be the best solution at hand. I'd like
> to propose the addition of a dedicated USE conflict detection to
> ebuilds which need it.

Perhaps it would be possible to tell portage to have a
"build-what-you-can" mode, where it tries to build as much as possible
after a compilation failure. At the end it then can report on the
packages that were not compiled.

> This detection function (for example pkg_prepare()) must be executed
> for every package in the depgraph right after the depgraph has been
> built and has only the possibility to either mark the package as 'go'
> or 'no-go'. In case that any package has been marked as 'no-go', the
> whole process stops.

And this indeed.

> A possible implementation from the build side could look like this:
>
> # the next two functions would be candidates for eutils.eclass
> emutexuse() {
>       eerror "The following USE flags are mutually exclusive:"
>       eerror "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
>       eerror "Please choose only one of the above and disable the remaining"
>       eerror "USE flags. For additional information about this problem, see"
>       eerror "http://www.gentoo.org/<some place to store add. info about
> this>" echo
> }

Add some reference to the package for which they are mutually exclusive.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer