On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:36:22PM -0500, Alec Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Taking the earlier comment ( changing files only on the mirrors ) there
> are no portage changes that are technically required.  However, you'd
> need to change about 10000 ( random number I pulled out of my ass, but
> there are many affected ) SRC_URI's to point to the new format, or
> produce some sort of hack that translates between the two, and I
> wouldn't be to fond of the latter effort, mostly because it would
> probably rot in the tree for way too long ;)

For the time being, whats stopping us from doing something like the
following on the mirrors?

for i in `find . -type f`; do
        dir=${i:2:1};
        // I guess we REALLY want case sensitivity, but thats not for me
        // to decide.
        dir=`echo ${dir} | tr [:upper:] [:lower:]`
        mkdir -p ${dir};
        mv ${i} ${dir};
        ln ${dir}/${i:2} ${i};
done

> And you need to modify policy for placing files on the mirrors, but
> thats not a portage problem either; from the portage POV the change is
> relatively seamless.

Modifying the mirror code to do something like the above shouldn't be
complicated at all.

--
Role:            Gentoo Linux Kernel Lead
Gentoo Linux:    http://www.gentoo.org