On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 11:28 +0100, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> On Thursday 09 March 2006 04:12, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > this is kind of a pita in terms of maintenance and imo a hack ... why not
> > just have the splitelf code skip stripped binaries
> Because of the number of `file` calls needed to identify stripped and
> non-stripped binaries, I'd say...

Come to think of it portage-2.1_NEXT will require >=pax-utils-0.1.10
(auto fixing evil rpaths) which has support for '*.a' files now
(spanky rules).
We can probably obsolete the need to call 'file' all together now in
prepstrip.

Heres a patch also which should help you track down offending programs
as they occur. should catch all cases of 'install -s' also.
http://tinderbox.x86.dev.gentoo.org/portage/local/patches/sys-devel/binutils/binutils-gentoo-strip-safe.patch

--
solar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo Linux