On Wednesday, April 05, 2006 16:08, m h wrote:
> My question is how do other packages that build against a slotted
> library know where to find the library?

To the best of my knowledge, that is the responsibility of pkg-config.
Information about the supported libraries is stored in /usr/lib/pkgconfig.

> And how does one indicate which version to link against?

Generally, there is no need to do that in an ebuild. The software package's
configure script will automatically run pkg-config in order to determine
which flags must be passed to the linker. (Assuming that you are referring to
an application which is written in a variant of C.)

--
Anthony Gorecki