Donnie Berkholz posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted below,  on
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:08:54 -0700:

> This is a reminder to everybody that now modular X is in ~arch, you need
> to REMOVE YOUR MODULAR X UNMASK.
>
> We're getting lots of issues because people aren't doing this and are
> getting package.mask'd versions of programs because they forgot about it.
>
> In particular, xorg-server 1.0.99 has an ABI break, which breaks all
> Nvidia and ATI binary drivers.

FWIW, I played with xorg-server 1.0.99 and the new ATI drivers (Radeon
9250, dual monitor in merged framebuffer mode, on amd64, compiled with
gcc-4.1.0) for about 12 hours yesterday. There's some really nice
improvements coming (with Option AccelMethod "EXA", the CPU cost of
composite transparency/shadows/fading is virtually zero, and EXA is far
more stable than in current ~arch), but as might be expected with an early
release candidate, there's still enough issues that I eventually reverted
back to ~arch, which now seems slow and CPU hungry with
composite/transparency on, dull and stuffy without! <g>

In particular:

* The zoom hotkeys (CTRL-ALT-PLUS/MINUS) didn't work at all -- I had to
use krandrtray which isn't the same since it shrinks the virtual desktop,
not just the viewport.

* krandrtray failed to restore a full sized desktop in some cases (this
may be due to an error in the log I saw -- from memory so isn't exact,
failed to allocate backup/restore memory, display may get corrupted)

* Overlay was doing strange thing.  In this case it was SDL overlay as
used by dosbox -- I tried rebuilding both libsdl and dosbox, but the
overlay still failed.  Maybe related to the ABI change?

* General instability, with both EXA and XAA.  Not entirely unexpected at
this point, and EXA is /vastly/ improved over  both the current ~arch
version and XAA (new and ~arch) efficiency-wise.

Is it worth posting bugs on these yet?  Gentoo or upstream?  Any tracker
bug to point me at?  (I have the binpkgs so can remerge them for
additional testing with little trouble, if necessary.)

It's impressive enough to have me eagerly awaiting the next rc.  Good work
both here and upstream!  Is the proposed schedule on the wiki at
desktop.org still valid? A couple more RCs, and release in about a month
if all goes well?