As many of you might have noticed, the old openal CVS snapshots have
been replaced with upstream's official openal-0.0.8 release.  The only
problem is that the alut stuff that was in openal (under Linux only) has
been split out into a new package.  Because of this, some packages
require some work before they can be moved to using the new split
openal/freealut packages.  I have unmasked openal-0.0.8 and freealut,
but the current "best version" in stable is still 20050504-r1, which has
the integrated alut.

Why am I telling you all of this?

Simple.  I am trying to get every package in the tree to actually work
with the newer (0.0.8) openal, so I can remove the old CVS snapshots.
If you're willing to help (this means patches), then feel free to mask
>=media-libs/openal-200* locally and start merging packages that depend
on openal.  A common problem you will see is this:

AL/alut.h: No such file or directory

This, of course, means that the package expects to use alut, so the
simplest solution is to try to add media-libs/freealut to DEPEND and
merge again.  In some cases, this will work.  Otherwise, a patch will
still be needed to get the package to work with the split
openal/freealut ebuilds.  Please file bugs, with the patches, and make
sure that they block bug #132826, which is my tracker bug for these
issues.  Please refrain from filing bugs on things that are broken
without a patch, as I have a list of the packages that depend on openal
already and am going through them one by one, so a bug report in this
case isn't beneficial without patches to resolve the problem.

Thanks,

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead