On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 10:29 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
> Jon Portnoy wrote: [Mon May 22 2006, 09:38:23AM CDT]
> > On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 09:21:34AM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
> > > Please don't change your wording on that. The feel really strongly
> > > about the primary pkg manager of Gentoo needing remain under the full
> > > control of Gentoo Linux.
> > >

> > Agreed, I'm of the opinion it would be inappropriate to let an outside
> > entity steer our primary package manager.
>
> I'm not sure I understand why.  After all, mandriva, suse, ubuntu, and
> many others have survived quite well.

rpm and apt have withstood the test of time and are mature pkg
managers, not immature experimental code still in major development.

>  More to the point, though, it's
> not clear to me what awful things happen if Gentoo does not own the
> package manager code,

It should be pretty clear that one of the main problems is letting
others decide which features we will and wont have and defining our
standards based on their needs and not our own.

Please don't forget either that what we know as Gentoo is
based/built upon the tool known as portage. Everything we do
(all teams included) revolves around it.

--
Ned Ludd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo Linux