On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 17:48 +0100, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
> The time it takes to actually apply fixes etc. is another point.

This is where I'd respectfully disagree.

> Bugzilla is a poor system for  sharing and managing the flow of
> ebuilds and patches. It would be nice if there were a way for non-devs
> to publish ebuilds/fixes using a VCS so that they could be shared and
> easily pulled and applied to the main tree. It takes too long to
> browse bugzilla, find bugs, find ebuilds and patches, download them,
> copy to an overlay, fix digests, emerge, etc. and most users will
> figure it's not worth the hassle.

You mean all of the things that developers have to do, right?  Funny,
but I thought the idea for the overlays was to groom developers, not to
provide low-quality half-working ebuilds to users.

Perhaps if we had a bug-tracking system that integrated better with a
version control system, allowing for easier access to the
ebuilds/patches/etc within a bug report, yet without providing a "free
for all" as the current project suggests?  I really don't know what kind
of solution would be proper for this, but I do know that the current
idea of an overlay for the entire tree is not something that should be
taken lightly and definitely not something that should *ever* be done
without discussion.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead