On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:06:01 -0700
"Robin H. Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 03:41:56PM -0500, Mike Doty wrote:
> >
> > Molle Bestefich wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Portage takes up a lot of space and time when doing server
> > > backups.
> > >
> > > How much of Portage needs to be backup up?
> > > Any large parts of the tree that I can just dump?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > CC appreciated :).
> > anything in /usr/portage can be regenerated by syncing.  /var/tmp
> > can be dumped too.
> >
> > That should be most of the space portage takes
> You should also be able to ditch /var/cache/edb/dep/ safely.
> Do make sure you back up the base /var/cache/edb/
> and /var/lib/portage/

Don't forget the most important thing: /var/db/pkg. Other things worth
saving are /var/log/emerge.log (serveral tools use this) and of course
any portage related files in /etc.

Marius

--
Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.