OK, guys, I was speaking with vapier earlier about the possibility of
getting gcc 4.1.1 stable for the 2006.1 release.  We've managed to build
some release media with it, and are planning on doing more testing with
it.  What we really need is for more people to test this on various
platforms and to get all of the bugs worked out that we can.  We're
already ramping up our release cycle, and would like to get this
included, so we don't have to wait until 2007 for a release with >= GCC
4.1 in it.

We are also testing glibc 2.4, which will likely go to stable on the
supporting architectures during the release cycle.  We always welcome
more testing, though.  =]

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead