On Thursday 15 June 2006 20:17, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:

> I have to agree that I have never understood the need for the distinction
> between herd and team. It does not seem to add anything, I guess some
> people do not like being referred to as a herd may be? It really doesn't
> bother me. I think of a herd as a collection of developers working on a set
> of packages kept under the same umbrella due to them being related in some
> way.

Basically a team may manage multiple herds, but still separte them because of
organizing reasons. At the days, the kde team herded three herds: QT,
kde-core, and kde-others. This allowed for example kde-others (random kde
apps) to receive different attention than core kde applications.

> If people really do feel the need to distinguish these things then fine -
> document it. Otherwise I will continue operating the way I do. I don't see
> why it matters so much...

I agree that in most cases team=herd and there is not "formal" project and it
really doesn't matter if you say that a herd maintains something when it's
the herd's maintainers that do so.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze