Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> For example: mplayer
> It has it's gui-less player and an gtk-based frontend in one package.
> We should split this into two packages: mplayer and gmplayer.
> The chances to get this done in the upstream *before* some major
> distro like gentoo does the split by its own are quite low.

We do not split packages for frivolous reasons. The only accepted
exception is when a kernel module and an application requiring lots of
time to build are bundled together.

> Some
> people @mplayerhq are quite aeh, unfortunate, about changes in the
> build procedure. Maybe you like to have a look at the discussion
> about my patches introducing pkg-config utilization.

I don't see how it is related.

lu

PS: all mplayer front-ends use/(should use) the slave-mode ipc, gmplayer
is deprecated and will be replaced by another front-end using slave-mode
as the others.

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC