Hey folks-

(Shamelessly copied from my blog[1]  )...
I'm working on an open source tool for managing war files called
warconfig (warconfig is/should be to wars as webappconfig is to php
apps). We have a need for this at work. I have a pretty detailed write
up here [2]. Warconfig is a tool for deploying, upgrading, and rolling
back war files on Tomcat (currently only version 5.5 on Gentoo has
been tested, though with a little love it should work on Windows and
anywhere else that tomcat does. Support for additional app servers
should be pretty easy to implement).

The coolest feature, (which is still in the process of being
implemented), will allow one to easily see what has changed between
war file versions (think CONFIG_PROTECT for files within wars). (Say
you have a configuration file containing data specific to your
deployment, such as jdbc connection parameters. This will allow you to
quickly validate if you've updated your files).
(end cut)

I realize that as of now there aren't many wars in the ebuild tree.
But I suspect that will change soon with the recent pushes by the java
herd.

I'd like to solicit any feedback from the webapp-confiig, *-config and
java people.  (Or anyone who has j2ee deployment experience).  If
people are interested in helping, let me know and I'll create a
project with source control and all that good stuff.  If the
gentoo-java people are interested, I'd like to work with them to get
this to be a defacto tool for gentoo (if not that's ok too, I still
need this for work).

I'm going to be asking for feedback in some non-gentoo places as well,
so if you have comments could you be so kind as to post them to my
blog[1]?

thanks much for your time,

-matt

[1] - http://panela.blog-city.com/warconfig__feedback_requested.htm