Mike Frysinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Tue, 08 Aug
2006 11:43:13 -0400:

> looks like your mail server ate this ...
>
> someone remind me why our emul packages install in some obscure
> directory tree rooted in /emul
>
> if we moved these things to the standard lib32 dirs, it would certainly
> ease the pain of people doing multilib building, both in and out of
> portage
>
> it'd also let us free up env.d crap ... but most importantly, it'll stop
> breaking my friggin tab completion for /etc

It came thru b4.  As an amd64 user, I've been hoping a member of the arch
team would reply, as it's a question that seeing it asked, I'm now curious
about myself, but nothing yet.

Pure speculation here, but the idea /might/ have been to separate prebuilt
binary stuff into /emul, so it wouldn't conflict with future multiarch
portage support (which would presumably use /lib32), which IIRC was hoped
to be here by now, but turned out to be rather complicated and had no
portage devs which had that particular itch they needed to scratch, so...
(IOW, no blame or finger pointing, just that we'd hoped it'd be here by
2.1, and it isn't, and that's a fact amd64 continues to have to deal with.)

As I said, pure speculation, likely wrong, but that's the first logical
thing that came to my mind.  I too am interested in a real answer.