On 2006-09-11 at 20:30 -0400, Michael Cummings wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > * If no existing file with the intended target name exists, or if the
> > existing
> >   file has identical content to the file to be installed, the file to be
> > installed
> >   is installed as normal.
>
> Just one poor dev's opinion, but I prefer it when these files are
> created as .sample's or examples.

.sample or .example files are not related with configuration protection
and as it was already decided on such files should go
into /usr/share/doc.

> Invariably there is some tweaking that needs to be done to the file,
> even when it's the initial version of the file.

And this breaks General guidelines in gentoo developer handbook:
"Your package, when complete and unmasked, is supposed to "just work"
for the end-user. Tweaking the installed product to get it to work
should be optional; thus you need to install the package with reasonable
default settings."

Regards,
Peter.