Steve Long wrote:
Or you haven't talked to me or Beandog at all; since he has been
working on this a while (now with upgraded tools!).
what i'd like to see is a system, to which one would give a package name,
which then handles the removal (almost) automatically.

that way devs would have an easier time actually removing some cruft and
you guys would be freed from typing the same stuff over and over.
this system could be responsible for sending the out last rites mails,
masking the packages in package.mask etc... enrico would get his database
for free, both listing those that are pending removal as well as a
history of removals including the reason plus a pointer to the
corresponding bug...

This sounds like an excellent idea. Do the `upgraded tools' already automate
this process?

The 'upgraded tools' was in regards to the GPNL project; since Beandog was using portageq to import metadata into the database; this turned out to be a bad idea (slow as all hell). The upgraded portion was Marien writing some funky pkgcore voodoo to do the metadata import in about three minutes.

Phreak and I have some scripts that automate portions of the removal process (including adding stuff into the treecleaner overlay!) but I know I'm not using em (not what I would call production ready yet).

I don't like automated E-mails all that much, tbh. Right now my script just generates the text for the e-mail and I read it over and add comments and then paste it into my client ;) Some people stated that they liked more comments than just "masked for bug #XXXXXX' so I try to provide those; a tool just won't cover it in that aera.

Also there is no history of removals other than the ebuilds go into the treecleaner project overlay; which I guess provides a revision history for removals by default (cool!).