On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 10:13 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Personally, I'd say 686 is the lowest reasonable to support at this point.

That's pretty much our target.

> Below that, try an appropriate binary distribution and save the days/weeks
> of compiling.  Of course, Gentoo is highly customizable, and folks could
> try it on 386 if they wanted, but I don't believe it's worth supporting
> below 686 at this point.  That's personally.  I'm sure there are folks
> that would argue we should at least support 586, but I simply don't
> believe it's worth it.

There's a difference between "support" and "ability".  You will retain
the ability to install on < i686 machines.  We just don't want to
support it.  This means we aren't going to be pushing out lots of new
media for them.

I have a set of legacy media that I plan on pushing out.  It is all
built with the 2006.1 snapshot.  The media is an installcd, a stage set
(stage1/2/3) for "x86" compiled against the no-nptl profile, a stage set
for "i586" compiled against the 2006.1 profile, and a stage set for
"i586" compiled against the no-nptl profile.  I don't plan on upgrading
these until we switch over to the new multiple-inheritance profiles, at
which point, I'll likely build a set of stages again for legacy
hardware.  The stages won't be supported, but they'll be available.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead