On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 12:18 -0400, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> I fear the idea that valid bugs may be closed do to a -march=i586.

If they're a bug dealing with an issue only present on < i686, then yes,
they likely would be, at least for release media, unless you also
provide a patch.  This is what being "unsupported" means.  Now, if you
give me a patch for some bug that only affects < i686, I'll apply it,
provided it doesn't break >= i686, but I simply don't have the time to
support < i686 with the release media anymore.

By the way, the stage1 tarball and Minimal InstallCD are both built as
"i386" and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead