On Tuesday 07 November 2006 02:42, Matthew Snelham wrote:
> (I've built a number of clusters with NFS root fs, but I've never even
> heard of a disk backed root with an NFS /var.  Can we say that's
> pathologically odd, and unsupported/unsupportable?)

OK, I have /var mounted on an LVM. I need to run an fsck on it, so I unmount
it and do the stuff I need to in single user mode.

In baselayout-1.13 I can bring the entire system back up by going back to the
default runlevel (although there is one error in checkfs I have to address).

Now how can we do that if our state data no longer exists as /var is not
available? Yes the user could remount it and it's back, but what happens if
this is a laptop and the user plugs in their wifi card and they urgently need
to get network running and there's a problem mounting /var?

> > Why do we have to have everything configured by variables?
>
> Eh, I'm not sure I see the need for this to be a variable.  I'd just like
> to see it well behaved.

Well behaved as to the LFS or well behaved as in coping for as many scenarios
as we can? I'm all for the later. If you want the former then you're welcome
to suggest alternative fixes for this too :)

--
Roy Marples <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo/Linux Developer (baselayout, networking)