On Wednesday 08 November 2006 04:47, Steve Long wrote:
> I understand the ABI changes at major compiler upgrades, especially for
> C++. Is this such a problem for C? I thought that was the whole point of
> the Linux ABI (so developers can in fact use the same binary for different
> distros.)
>
> I'm guessing you're going to point out all the posts about recompiling your
> whole system after a toolchain upgrade.
>
> So if I understand this right, we can't all compile for the same ABI since
> it changes according to which version of the C compiler/ glibc you're
> using.

The problem is that for the applications, it is not only glibc+gcc that
determines the ABI. It is all libraries used (sometimes useflags even make a
difference) that are also ABI for applications. That would lead to a
gazillion configurations that would be nearly impossible to track.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer