Marius Mauch wrote:
>> I'm a bit confused about all the portage tree stuff. There's just
>> under 25,000 ebuilds, which are maintained by about 100 devs (not
>> sure of exact number, taken from a forum post.) I guess what I'm
>> asking is why this isn't just a database.
>
> Please define "database".

OK, I accept that the existing setup can be called a database. As I'm sure
you guessed, I meant a database application in the sense of a standard
RDMBS, with finer grained control over permissions (ie per cp for new devs,
per category or whole tree access for more experienced.) If it's a bad
idea, no probs.