Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Monday 05 February 2007, Luis Francisco Araujo wrote:
I am usually very hesitant to add new use flags to the tree (unless they
are *really* necessary or imply a great advantage.) ; though i am not
sure here if anybody else would consider this a good recommendation for
handling textrels.

why not just build pic for everyone on x86 ? define "it'll hurt performance" ... of course you take a small penalty for code being PIC, but i dont exactly see smalltalk being such a performance hardcore language to justify making it special

I was thinking more of a simple 'use hardened && myconf=" .. "' specific
line for this ebuild; but it's probably a good idea offering to more
developers the easy choice of this feature through a USE flag?

you would utilize the "pic" USE flag ... php does this because it, unlike smalltalk, is very performance critical, and so by default it builds as non-pic on x86
-mike

Thank everyone;

I will go with the pic USE flag option then.

--

Luis F. Araujo "araujo at gentoo.org"
Gentoo Linux