On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 07:28:34 -0500 Chris Gianelloni
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| He's not "screwing up" anything.  He's making changes he wishes as the
| author and maintainer of the package.  If someone doesn't like it,
| they can fork it and maintain their own package.  Isn't that just
| wonderful?

Forking is a rather extreme option, not something one does on a whim...

| Seriously, Roy can work on whatever he wants how he wants,
| just like any of the rest of us.  Anyone who doesn't like it can
| simply fork the project, or even create a new project to replace the
| functionality provided by this package.

Except we already know that that's not the case. Take, for example, the
non-GNU-utility changes that the ppc-macos people tried to force upon
Gentoo. It's a fairly obvious example of how people cannot and should
not be allowed to screw things up just because they want to scratch an
itch.

| It happens all the time.  I seem to remember it happening with this
| package manager we all are familiar with...

Ooh, an ad hominem!

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Mail                                : ciaranm at ciaranm.org