Stuart Longland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  (Gentoo Foundation) wrote:
>       How's this for an idea though... Rather than banning *people*... why
> not temporarily ban a thread?  I know this is easily possible on forum
> threads -- mailing lists are more difficult, but if one could lock a
> thread for a day or so -- that might allow people to cool off before
> picking up the thread again.
Nice idea in general, yet people could harm a discussion even more as in they
get a tool to delay them as often as they'd like to. Even more would you
delay a discussion for a day that worked, except that one person felt like it
would be needed to inject a few drops of hostility by using abusive language.

>       I think in such flamewars, it's *everyone* that needs to cool off, not
> just those who start them.
Of course everyone needs to cool off, but (hopefully) most of us can do this
themselves, meaning they learned to recognize that they are angry and add the
task of replying to there todo-list and do it later on during the day.

What I want to say is: To me it looks like  to is a relatively small group of
people who do get abusive again and again, and after some time others can't
stand this anymore and fight back --> flame-war
By baning those who get abusive again and again, the problem should thus
vanish in mist.
On the other hand, if you lock a thread for one day because xyz got abusive
for the 3rd time this month, everyone is pissed because the discussion is
stopped, xyz is happy because it is something annoying, and xyz is not really
likely to stop that because he personally isnt punished, but everyone.

If you got a class to teach, and someone played a joke on you, it is likely to
work if you punish the whole class with an extra test or more homework,
because the majority of the class will dislike the one who did it.
The same would happen here, but xyz who was abusive again will not feel that
he himself is punished harder than anyone else, since he/she wont be beaten
during the break, speaking metaphorically...

Cheers,

        Daniel