On Wednesday 14 March 2007, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> So you consider it acceptable to remove the user's ability to use
> packages and dependencies of those packages because of some personal
> dislikes?

It should not be personal dislikes. Such a strong position should be well
considered by the ones responsible. Making things personal is highly
unprofessional and would hopefully lead to many developers leaving.

> What gives Gentoo the right to screw over users in such a manner?

Gentoo is gentoo. As a developer I like to think that we keep long term user
interests at heart. I also know that I mainly do things out of my own desire.
I don't go out looking for users to find out what they want. I look at what I
want. (And yes that includes an improved/replaced package manager)

What I really don't want however is anyone strongholding gentoo. If it is
hurting gentoo to reject the contributions of someone, the situation has
already gotten out of hand. I don't believe that people are that
irreplaceable. Even if they are, that is something that is damaging to the
projects continuity.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze