What on earth is going to be a "major visible improvement" to a command
line based package manager that any average Gentoo user is going to
realise? The average user probably only uses a few commands: emerge
-u/p/a/v/--sync/package/world/system and then use
package.keywords/mask/unmask so there are really no fundamental
differences that the average user will notice

How about the speed of search's? the speed of resolving dependancy's? how
about the speed that it takes to calculate a dependancy listing after you've
already done it once? portage is SLOW. how about getting it to the point
where it could be made to incorporate a graphical frontend if wanted. how
about providing me a list of packages that are masked instead of making me
read and unmask them one at a time.