On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 03:11 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:25:17 -0400
> "William L. Thomson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hierarchy would be the following
> >
> > snapshot -> dev -> build -> alpha -> beta ....
>
> And that's where the problems start. As you said yourself _snapshot is
> something universal so it doesn't really fit anywhere in the chain.

Yes, order wise snapshots might be quite confusing. Not sure if a well
defined definition would clear that up.

> Similar for _build, it usually runs parallel to normal versioning (a
> release also has a build number).

That's more something specific to say glassfish where builds are weekly
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/downloadsindex.html#Promoted_binary_builds

With major ones being milestones, similar to Netbeans.
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/downloadsindex.html#Milestone_binary_builds

Glassfish alone is likely to comprise of a guestimated ~20 or so
packages. It's Sun's formerly closed source J2EE stack for the most
part. Very possible could be more, formerly know as WSDP
http://java.sun.com/webservices/jwsdp/index.jsp

> At best older
> portage versions would ignore ebuilds using these new suffixes
> resulting in confused users, worst case stuff starts breaking.
> If you want to pursue this you should get some numbers of how many
> packages could actually make use of these new features, it simply isn't
> worth thinking about it for just a handful of packages.

After others comments, this is definitely something for the future. If
and a time comes that it's feasible to introduce such changes safely. I
do agree before acceptable or implementation the amount of packages that
can benefit from it would surely help justify it or not.

Now I doubt it's feasible for me alone to figure out if it can benefit
all 4k+ packages :) So hopefully others can chime in briefly on if they
can benefit or not. Maybe email me directly to I can start a tally. Only
if you have packages that can benefit, no need otherwise.

With that said, what percentage or ruff # of packages do you all think
would need to benefit to justify it? That way if it's hard to find say
50 and min is like 500+, then no reason to look into it any further.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java