Steve Long wrote:
Yeah -- "server" is way too generic. I've forgotten where else I use it,
but when I build "vnc" I use it to get a VNC server. Maybe make a local
"vnc-server" USE flag for that one.

I don't see what is so dangerous about a server flag. After all I don't set
doc globally, but it is a useful global flag, with clear intent, as would
be server.

If usr sets server on a box in make.conf, against advice, they still have to
actually emerge the pkgs they want, after all. So it's not like it's going
to lead to a mass of bloat (unlike the current setup.)
Actually, on my systems, about the only USE flags I *don't* set globally in make.conf are "doc", "examples" and "source". There are very few conflicts from this, and just about everything in my package.use file is either making the documentation and examples or suppressing an option for a package where it doesn't work. It turns out to be easier for me to manage things that way than to have a humongous package.use and a few options in make.conf.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits
fire.