On Sunday 25 March 2007, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
> > It looks like our social contract doesn't prohibit Gentoo from being
> > dependent upon a single sponsor or corporation. In the interests of
> > keeping Gentoo run by the developers rather than any outside party, how
> > about the following addition to the Social Contract?
> >
> > <heading>We will be run by the Development Community</>
> > Gentoo will be run by the development community. We will never allow
> > ourselves to be reliant upon a single sponsor or corporation.
>
> As I understand it, Gentoo is a "tax-exempt foundation" registered in
> the state of New Mexico. As a result, there are legal restrictions on
> "sponsorship", etc. Before modifying the "Social Contract", I'd
> recommend consulting an attorney with expertise in such matters. The
> last thing Gentoo needs is major legal hassles.

your information is dated ... Gentoo is not a tax-exempt foundation
specifically so that we dont have to worry about getting screwed when a
single entity decided to donate a ton of cash ... in other words, most
foundations choose to be a 501(c)(3) so that donaters can have tax write offs
while Gentoo is a 501(c)(1)
-mike